Field study visit #3: October 12
Date and time: October 12, 5:46 P.M.
Weather: cold, humid, very cloudy and rainy all day, with a slight breeze.
Air temperature: 53 degrees
Length of day: 11hrs and 13 minutes, Sunrise- 7:54 A.M. Sunset- 8:36 P.M.
Observations: Almost every single tree is changing color and starting to lose it leaves! I have also started to notice that the vegetation in the pond is decreasing and changing color, because the lily pads seem to by dying (video) and there is barely any algae left on the surface of the pond, the lawn around the pond is filled with fallen leaves and the amounts are increasing as it gets colder out, in the past week we have had some visitors, I was not able to capture a picture of them but we currently have 2 sandhill cranes that have been visiting the pond area the past few days and the last time we saw them on our property was during the spring. I have also noticed that the area of the long grass in the wetlands that is pressed down (where the deer were laying before) has grown and the population of deer around our property the last few weeks had grown by a few, I am seeing that as the temperature continues to decrease and the seasons are evolving that the weather is getting cloudier with increased precipitation, and with these decreased temperatures I haven't seen any butterflies the amount of insects are dropping throughout the pond area. Lastly, I noticed that the sounds of the insects were basically gone at the time of my visit when usually you can hear them loud and clear.
Sound map: over 10 minutes sitting and listening.





EXCELLENT JOB! Very well done! Keep watching for patterns in the color change.
ReplyDelete