Field study visit #5: November 14
Date and time: November, 4:37 P.M.
Weather: It has been cloudy and very cold (compared to before) all day, with light snow flurries randomly though the day, with minimal wind of about 6 mph.
Air temperature: 36 degrees
Length of day: 9 hours and 47 minutes , Sunrise- 7:35 A.M. Sunset- 5:22 P.M.
Observations: There is officially snow on the ground now! One thing I have notice though was the fact that many trees around still have their leaves and haven't shed them yet which usually happens before the first snow each year to most trees. The vegetation has decreased a lot over the past few months but what is surprising to me is that many of the little plants around and on the ground were still fully green and thriving this late in the year which I had never payed attention to before, and many of the other colors were gone because there weren't many leave left. Also, as I have mentioned before, the deer still seem to be coming by and laying in the long grass because it is still packed down but I haven't been seeing them down by the pond too often lately. I took a deeper look at the water in the pond today and I was able to see very clearly with the calm water and there was a living organism of some kind swimming around because while I was taking some pictures to show the murkiness of the water I hears a big splash and saw a bunch of ripples in the water which shows that the temperature is still bearable for whatever is living in there. Lastly, as I sat listening it was so calm and quiet unlike before with all the birds and insects.
Adding onto awe and stewardship from last visit: I talked to my dad and he was telling me that one of the ways we are making the pond a healthier place is by cutting off certain "bad" fertilizers because it was causing a toxic environment for the creatures which put a little bit of a plug in the cycle of the ponds naturally being taken care of like they were before by the living organisms around. But we also have been having problems with too much iron in the water so that has also had an effect because we pull our sprinkling water from our ponds and over time the pond water has gotten worse and worse with the sprinkling water eventually ending up back in the pond at the bottom of the hill, so we are finding ways to neutralize the water back to its original state like it was a few years ago. So now we are changing the fertilizers and going to cut back because we want to bring the pond back to its full potential and make it healthy for all the living things around so eventually nature can take over the ponds again and do its natural cycle.
Sketch of one of the plants in the area:








Comments
Post a Comment